Friday, October 9, 2009

What's Buggin' Me?


Good day and welcome to all readers be it friend or foe. How was your week? Great, I hope. Mine was a bit challenging as I have been sick for the last six or seven days and I am still recovering. One thing that has not failed is my mind. In fact my clarity of thought and precision of expression increased during this brief cooling off period.

As I was pinned to my sofa unable to prepare meals for my children, buy groceries, see a doctor, or even make it to the pharmacy one block over, I had a little time to think (between moans and groans, of course). There are a number of things going on in my life that bug me. My subconscious urged my conscious self to start addressing these things. One of those things are the relationships in my life. Though I have been blessed with some really great familial and external friendships there is a bit lacking even in those situations. But my primary concern at present were my more recent acquaintances. Lately I have encountered a number of people who have pushed my buttons often and for no good reason! The most frustrating thing of all is that these people have never even seen me in person. Yet, these individuals feel they have a right to mislabel, misjudge, and mistreat me! Where do they do that at?! On social networking sites, of course.

Unveiling of the Perp

In confessing that I am a twitter addict I must say I am on a fast-track to recovery thanks to the many morons I have encountered in the short time period that I have been using this medium. But at least I provide a good service as President of the Tweet-Abuse Hotline (just kidding, it does not exist, yet) but I am working on it. My initial intent for signing up was just to see how it worked, but after aquiring one or two followers that seemed interesting I began to feel like a part of a major movement that could change the world! But that honeymoon came to a screeching halt once it became obvious to me that my twitter stream was invaded by twidiots!

My Twitter Experience

For the record I am very friendly and approachable which may be part of the problem. THAT and the fact that I am confrontational. I will come after you if you provoke me. However, I get a sneaking feeling that these morons would strike even if I was not so warm and fuzzy all the time. The thing of it is, most people are there to boost their egos because they are not revered in any other area of their lives. They try to build a following and recruit groupies who will stroke them on a very regular basis. Others are there to shout off the rooftops all that is good in their lives so they can feel special even if much of what they share is untrue or exaggerated. Then there are
attention-hogs and whores (yes, I said it), who are primarily followed by large numbers because of their sexy photographs, while others are gifted at gossiping, insulting others or making people laugh. There are perverts galore seeking to prey on as many women as they can, many of which are married or in committed relationships. And then of course, there are celebrities and marketing gurus who annoy us to no end!

My experiences these past several months range from glowing moments where I was gaining
about 15 followers daily without the assistance of any special applications or third-party websites and shared some great exchanges with people who seem to have wonderful personalities, to some very unpleasant exhanges where psychotic posers unfollowed me for apparently no reason at all who were also hostile and rude! I don't think I have ever wanted to beat upon so many people at one time in my entire life before this-- and I'm from New York, baby! Some weirdos have really crossed some lines and gone overboard in their communication with me. Honestly, if they knew I could walk up on them at any moment and exact my revenge upon them in a very physical way, they would not be so quick to tick me off.

So among the bad we have a batch of folk on Twitter who are either, narcissists, cowards, selfish, self-centered, self-absorbed, liars, cheaters, posers, perverts, cyber-stalkers, idiots, marketing hounds and stuck-up celebs and wannabes. On the positive there are some God-fearing, creatively talented, stay-at-home-moms, respectable, resourceful, informative, friendly, genuinely kind, warm, top professionals, motivators, funny, sexy, role-models, leaders, entrepreneurs and common folk who aim to treat people well who like to encourage, entertain, and engage people appropriately.

Final Thoughts

I wish there was some way to decipher between those two sets, but trial and error is the only way to know for certain. I have tons of patience but I admit it has worn thin with a few unworthy foes, but that is completely and entirely their loss. God knows I have better things to do with my time than share it with the likes of those foul few. Best thing to do in situations like that is to cut 'em loose and move forward. My intent as I develop my new profile is to do precisely that. I have no desire to repeat the past.

Those who are shady, stuck-up, or don't seem to share the same level of enthusiasm for me as I have toward them will be unfollowed. I want a more positive experience and for that reason, even some of the good guys will not be invited to my new profile. Nothing personal, but I do all in the interest of sanity. I have great plans for my VIP tweeps but I will only share it with them when the time comes. If you are reading this and know there are some things you can do differently online, don't waste this moment. Put it to use immediately. Enjoy your weekend and remember all behavior creates a pattern and a cycle. If you do not like it, only you have the power to reverse it.

Remember:

"Circumstances change, but people rarely do. It is not your job to sit and wait around until they do. Move forward."

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want your feedback.